Welcome to the second issue of the Peninsula News, the new monthly newspaper for the citizens of the Peninsula – now on “the web” as well as in print.
This month our major sponsor is the Gosford office of the NSW-Department of State and Regional Development.
The paper is a non-profit venture, written by Peninsula residents for Peninsula residents. This means that anyone can express an interest in becoming involved. It is truly your paper.
The newspaper is published by the Peninsula Community Access Newspaper Inc, a community-based non-profit association. Your support in becoming a member, just $5 a year, would be most welcome.
The association’s aims are:
– To provide a viable news medium exclusively for the Woy Woy Peninsula.
– To engender a sense of community on the Peninsula.
– To provide a voluntary community activity where participants mix with a broad cross-section of the community.
– To provide training opportunities for youth and the unemployed.
– To provide an avenue through which retired, people may continue to make a valued contribution to the community.
– To provide a forum for personal expression.
– To provide a skills or assistance “exchange” where people can offer, to teach their skills or give assistance and in return seek help and teaching from others.
The association’s committee sets the paper’s policy. For instance, it is policy that around 75 per cent of the content of this paper is local news. This 12-page issue has the equivalent to -36 pages of a suburban newspaper with a 25 percent news content.
The committee has sub-contracted sponsorship and newspaper production to local resident Cec Bucello.
The committee currently includes people with experience in journalism; community development, labour market programs and education.
Your participation in the newspaper is welcomed whether it be as a contributor, a voluntary writer or production person, a member of the newspaper association, a subscriber or a sponsor.
Please contact us to discuss our writing guidelines if you intend submitting an item for publication.
Deadline for the next issue of Peninsula News is close of business Wednesday, May19.