Former Narara Valley High School student, Alex Ross-King, has been identified as the 19-year-old woman who died after a suspected drug overdose at Sydney music festival, FOMO, on January 12.
Ross-King was attending the festival in Sydney’s Parramatta Park with friends, when she collapsed suddenly, around 6pm.
She was rushed to Westmead Hospital for treatment, but died later that evening.
Friends of Ross-King have since taken to social media to express their grief at the news of her passing.
Kiarra Harrison said Ross-King was a kind of soulmate, and said there were “no words” to describe her sorrow.
“You understood me completely, no matter the situation, no matter what I did, you were always there to pick me up or to tell me to stop being an idiot.
“Your kind heart will never be forgotten by anyone that it touched.
“I am so broken and confused, this world is such an unfair place.
“I love you with my whole soul Al, forever.
“Shine bright up there,” she wrote on Facebook.
Another friend, Brooke Farr, said Ross-King was always “a lively, happy girl, who had a big impact on her childhood.
“She taught me how to have confidence and helped me through some tough times,” she said.
“I’m forever grateful because it all helped me be a better version of who I am.
“She truly was beautiful, inside and out.
“I will always continue to ask myself why this life takes the best people so early,” she said.
Ross-King is now the fifth person to die at a NSW music festival in cases linked to illegal substances since September 2018, and her family have now added their voices to the growing calls for the NSW Government to introduce pill testing.
Ross-King’s grandmother, Denise Doig, pleaded with NSW Premier, Gladys Berejiklian, to introduce the practice immediately, during a press conference on January 13.
“Premier please can we have this pill testing done.
“It’s such a small thing to do.
“It’s not hard and if it could save lives,” Doig said.
The Berejiklian Government has come under fire for their hard line approach to pill testing, believing it to have the opposite effect and promote illicit drug use amongst young people, instead of curbing it.
In a media statement, FOMO event organisers said they were deeply saddened by Ross-King’s death.
“Our most heartfelt and sincerest condolences go out to her family and friends.
“Our anti-drug messaging began weeks ahead of the event and continued at the event itself,” the statement reads.
Ten people were hospitalised after the festival, which was attended by almost 12,000 people.
Police officers searched 146 people and of those, 54 had drugs.
There were 36 arrests and two people were charged with drug supply.
No link has been made between drugs seized at the event to Ross-King’s death, at this stage.
NSW Health is currently preparing a post-mortem and toxicology report for NSW Police.
Media statement, Jan 13
Press conference, Jan 13
Denise Doig, relative
Press conference, Jan 13
Mark Jones, NSW Police Assistant Commissioner
Social media, Jan 13
Kiarra Harrison and Brooke Farr, friends